To qualify for this Hypertension Scientific Sessions award you must meet the following deadlines:
- May 23, 2022 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- May 25, 2022, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to submit your science to Hypertension Scientific Sessions 2022 and to apply for this award.
The Council on Hypertension supports the research efforts of its early career investigators engaged in clinical or patient oriented research and rewards them by providing complimentary registration for select presenters at its annual conference. This award encourages physician scientists and other investigators (PharmD, PhD, DO, etc) to undertake or continue mechanistic patient-oriented or clinical hypertension research and to participate in the conference.
The award will be presented to one or more qualified clinician investigators selected to present abstracts at Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
- All applicants for the Award for Patient-Oriented or Clinical Research in Hypertension must be members of the AHA/ASA at any level at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so before submitting your abstract and award application materials. Join or renew today!
- Applicants may be clinical fellows or residents or have a faculty rank no higher than assistant professor at the time of application.
- During the abstract submission process, submit an abstract to the meeting in the area of patient oriented research only which could be either mechanistic hypothesis based research or clinical trials. Applicants must submit the required award documentation and select the award for which they are applying.
- The applicant must be the first/primary author of the abstract.
- Abstracts eligible for this award must be based upon projects that adhere to the American Heart Association’s policies governing all research awards, regardless of whether the project was funded by the American Heart Association. These policies are available here and include (but are not limited to) research using human subjects or animals and stem cell research.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- Winners may only win one type of award per conference during the same year.
- There are no citizenship restrictions for this award.
Applications will be judged primarily based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract. Only abstracts selected for presentation at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions will be eligible for consideration for this award.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Submit a scientific abstract to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions as well as all supporting award documentation via the conference's abstract submission site by the deadline.The following items must be submitted for consideration for this award (Please note: All documents listed must be included with the abstract submission. Incomplete applications will not be considered):
- AHA abstract in the area of patient oriented research only which could be either mechanistic hypothesis based research or clinical trials, in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter by the candidate's supervisor/mentor attesting the following: the candidate is an early career investigator as outlined in the eligibility criteria; the abstract research was performed primarily by the candidate; he or she is the first author of the abstract, and that the research has not been published or presented elsewhere previously.
AHA membership at any level is required by the candidate by the time the award materials are submitted.
All abstracts and application materials must be received through the Hypertension Scientific Sessions abstract submitter. Visit Hypertension Scientific Sessions for submission info.
- Awardees must be present at the meeting to receive their awards.
- The award will be presented to one or more applicants and includes a cash prize in the amount of $750 USD and complimentary registration to the conference. (Note: all funds are awarded after the conference). There may be an opportunity for the top awardee to present in an oral session.
Please Contact:Susan Kunish
AHA Conference Manager