ATVB Scientific Sessions Travel Grants for Early Career Investigators
Sponsored by the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Discovery (ATVB)
Scientific Sessions 2023 Abstract Travel Grants will open on June 14, 2023.To qualify for Scientific Sessions 2023 travel grants requiring abstract submission, you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 8, 2023, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2023
- August 18, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the sponsoring council.
- August 25, 2023, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to submit your travel grant application for Scientific Sessions 2023.
The Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology Scientific Sessions Travel Grants for Early Career Investigators encourage and support the efforts of early career investigators in cardiovascular research, and encourages early career investigators, women and under represented racial and ethnic groups to participate in ATVB and other AHA activities.
These grants provide travel funding for early career investigators who have abstracts accepted to the AHA's Scientific Sessions. A limited number of grants are available and based on the applicant's abstract score as determined by American Heart Association reviewers.
All applicants for travel grants sponsored by a scientific council must be members of the AHA/ASA at any level. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so one week prior to the application submission deadline for your membership to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA membership.
- Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or be active in research and within 10 years of completing medical fellowship (or residency as NIH states, MDs would be Fellows for 3-6 years of the 7-10), terminal degree or highest certificate (e.g. MSc, PhD), as of the award application date.
- Abstract must be submitted to the AHA Scientific Sessions in accordance with the AHA's rules and regulations for abstracts.
- Applicants must submit an abstract in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the AHA Scientific Sessions to one of the categories primarily sponsored by the ATVB Council. View a list of Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF).
- Your abstract must be accepted in an ATVB-sponsored category to be eligible to apply for this specific grant. Abstract presenters will be notified in August. The applicant must be able to present the abstract at the AHA Scientific Sessions, either in an oral abstract session or a poster session. If the applicant is unable to present the abstract, he/she will be disqualified from the grant.
- The presenting author of an accepted abstract must be registered for Scientific Sessions. Additional information about registration and fees may be found on the Scientific Sessions website.
- Applicants may apply for a travel grant multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Abstracts/manuscripts eligible for this award must be based upon projects that adhere to the American Heart Association’s policies governing all research awards, regardless of whether the project was funded by the American Heart Association. These policies are available here and include (but are not limited to) research using human subjects or animals and stem cell research.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
Application will be judged based on the scientific ranking of the candidate’s abstract and how it ranks against other applicants. Abstract presenters for Scientific Sessions will be notified in mid-August. Applicants for this grant may submit their applications before presenter notifications are received. However, only those who have abstracts accepted for presentation will ultimately be eligible to receive a travel grant.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
** Candidates may apply for more than one travel grant; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel grant.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Candidate Curriculum Vitae and Bibliography
- Previously unpublished abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The abstract should be submitted to Scientific Sessions before applying for this grant as your abstract control number will be needed on the application form.
- Original letter on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer, simply indicating the applicant’s status as a graduate student, postdoctoral fellow, instructor, or research fellow. No additional references are required.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this grant. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA at least 1 week prior to the application submission deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
PrizeThe winners will each receive a $500 travel grant for use in attending Scientific Sessions. Up to 30 awards from the pool of eligible applicants may be presented. Winners will also receive a complimentary ticket to attend the ATVB Early Career Networking Reception at Scientific Sessions.
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
- Register for live CME/CE activities
- Take on-demand CME/CE activities
- Claim CME/CE for every AHA conference
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Pre-Sessions Symposia & Early Career Day: November 10, 2023
Scientific Sessions: November 11–13, 2023
Pennsylvania Convention Center | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania