The Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB) will call for nominations in September with applications due in November for the Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Recognition Award, presented annually the Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions. The award recognizes ATVB/AHA partners who have made an impactful contribution in promoting Diversity and Inclusion.
The winner will be invited to give a three- to five-minute presentation to highlight the importance of diversity in the ATVB Council and/or the AHA at the Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions.
Award nominations will reopen in November 2020.
Award Information/Eligibility Criteria
Applications will be judged on the following criteria submitted through the Council Awards System. The ATVB Diversity Committee will assess the candidates’ backgrounds, accomplishments and overall contributions to promoting diversity and inclusion and will select the winner based on the following criteria:
- Standing partner status of the ATVB council for at least five years.
- Holds a current faculty position.
- Have track record of training students, scientists from diverse background, and underrepresented groups (See NIH Diversity in Extramural Programs for more information).
- The candidate should have a plan to attend the ATVB spring meeting for the award cycle.
All applicants must be partners of the AHA at any level by the time of application submission. If you need to become an AHA Professional Partner, you should do so before submitting your abstract and award application materials. Join or renew today.
The nomination file, submitted on the nominee's behalf, should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A personal statement (max 250 words) describing the nominee’s contribution to promoting diversity and training diverse students, scientists and advocates of diversity,
- One letter of recommendation from a senior mentor/division or department chief,
- One letter of support from a former mentee,
- A copy of nominee’s curriculum vitae and bibliography.
Current partners of the ATVB Diversity Committee are not eligible to be nominated for the award.
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of the application cannot be accepted.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please do so before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Partners who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA partner account identification numbers.
The award will be presented at the spring ATVB Council dinner at the Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions. The winner is expected to give a three- to five-minute speech to highlight the importance of diversity in the ATVB Council and/or the AHA.
The awardee will receive the following:
- A plaque.
- Complimentary ATVB Council dinner ticket. Attendance at the dinner is required.
- Complimentary registration to the Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine Scientific Sessions.
- 2020 Mete Civelek, PhD
Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
May 5-7, 2020
American Heart Association Professional Partners @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Renew or join as a professional partner today to make a difference.