Young Hearts Visiting Professor for Career Development Award
Sponsored by the Council on Lifelong Congenital Heart Disease and Heart Health in the Young
To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2023 award, you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 7, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the sponsoring Council.
- June 14, 2023, 6 p.m. CT – Deadline to apply for Scientific Sessions 2023 awards in the Council Awards System.
For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2023 is June 8, 2023, 6 p.m. CT
The American Heart Association’s Council on Lifelong Congenital Heart Disease and Heart Health in the Young (Young Hearts) is proud to sponsor the Young Hearts Visiting Professor for Career Development Award. This sponsorship will facilitate in-depth, educationally focused visits by prominent experts in pediatric cardiology and cardiovascular medicine. The visiting professorship encourages mentorship and academic development of pediatric cardiology fellows and faculty who are early in their academic careers at the host institution.
- 2020 Stuart Berger, MD
- 2018 Elizabeth D. Blume, MD
Who Should Apply
Pediatric cardiology programs in the United States with or without pediatric cardiology fellowships are eligible to apply. General pediatric programs without divisions of pediatric cardiology are also welcome to apply. The chief of the pediatric cardiology division or pediatric department should serve as the “host” of the visiting professor and the visit. The divisions of pediatric cardiology that apply should be those divisions/ departments that do not typically have the opportunity to bring in prominent experts in the field of pediatric cardiovascular medicine to their institution. The host may choose a visiting professor from the United States or abroad. The visiting professor should be a regionally, nationally or internationally noted figure.
- A visiting professor should only receive one honorarium a year.
- An institution may not have a visiting professor in two consecutive years.
One award is available per year. The award provides an honorarium of $1,000 to the Visiting Professor and up to $1,500 for travel and other expenses. The duration of the program should be two days. Academic development is an essential component of the visit and the major focus of this award.
- Nationally Competitive
- Awards announced at the Annual Young Hearts Council Dinner at AHA Scientific Sessions
How to Apply or Make a Nomination
Please see the individual award information pages below for specific documents required when submitting an application or nomination file. Awards requiring an abstract must be submitted to an AHA Scientific Meeting before the online submission site abstract deadline. Your abstract control number will be needed on the award application form.
A username and password previously set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily (PHD) will be necessary to access the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Membership is required of all award applicants. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait for your AHA member number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline for the member ID number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
- Click the link for the Council Awards Application System.
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password.
- Follow these instructions to set up your profile in ProposalCentral. Setting up your ProposalCentral profile will only need to be done the first time you login to apply for an American Heart Association Council Awards. Please note that the grant maker named American Heart Association is for AHA Research Awards and is a separate log in.
For more detailed information on ProposalCentral, also included are additional materials on specific ProposalCentral functionality.
Each nomination should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Host’s curriculum vitae.
- Visiting professor’s curriculum vitae.
- A letter signed by the proposed visiting professor affirming acceptance of the “invitation”.
- Two- to four-page statement (not more than 1000 words) by the host institution addressing the following points:
- The specific needs, aims, and goals of the division or department in having this visiting professor speak.
- How does this visiting professor advance the aims of the division/department?
- Proposed agenda of the two-day visit.
- Specify the people at the host institution that will be exposed to the visiting professor. Please include the approximate number of fellows, junior faculty, senior level faculty, medical students, and residents who will individually meet the visiting professor and others involved in the visit.
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Pre-Sessions Symposia & Early Career Day: November 10, 2023
Scientific Sessions: November 11–13, 2023
Pennsylvania Convention Center | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania