Research Article of the Year Award
Sponsored by Wolters Kluwer
To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2023 award, you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 7, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the sponsoring Council.
- June 14, 2023, 6 p.m. CT – Deadline to apply for Scientific Sessions 2023 awards in the Council Awards System.
For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2023 is June 8, 2023, 6 p.m. CT
The Research Article of the Year Award recognizes the importance of the written word in promoting the goals of the American Heart Association (AHA) and cardiovascular and stroke nursing; encourages the dissemination of cardiovascular nursing science; and applauds the author(s) for clearly communicating the nursing perspective in the context of cardiovascular research, practice and theory.
- 2022 Ruth M. Masterson Creber, PhD, MSc, RN, FAHA, FAAN
- 2021 Salah Al-Zaiti
- 2020 James Muchira
- 2019 Mary Rezk-Hanna
- 2018 Allison Webel
- 2017 Marjorie Funk
- The candidate must be a cardiovascular nurse and the first author of the article.
- The candidate must be a member of the Council of Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing at the time of nomination.
- Candidates may be self-nominated or nominated by others.
- Nominations will require the submission of research articles that clearly relate to the goals of the American Heart Association and cardiovascular nursing.
- Submitted articles must be peer-reviewed and published.
- An applicant may submit one paper for one article of the year award each year.
- An Article of the Year award winner cannot reapply for an article of the year award for at least 2 years.
Evaluation Criteria Submitted articles will be evaluated on:
- Scientific merit
- Sound research design
- Rigorous, valid, sensitive, reliable and feasible methodology
- Originality, significance, timeliness
- Potential to contribute to cardiovascular knowledge, practice and future research
- Logical development and linkage of ideas
- Clear expression of ideas
How to Apply or Nominate a Colleague
The application file (filled out on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- One cover letter of application and one nomination letter, or two nomination letters.
- Published article reprint for consideration or, if not available, an article that is indexed, peer reviewed, and publicly available. The article should clearly relate to the goals of the American Heart Association and cardiovascular nursing.
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily (PHD) will be necessary to access the Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait for your AHA member number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline for the member ID number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
- Click the link for the Council Awards Application System.
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password.
- Follow the instructions to set up your profile in ProposalCentral. Setting up your ProposalCentral profile will only need to be done the first time you login to apply for an American Heart Association Council Awards.
- Once logged in, you may apply for the Scientific Sessions Cardiovascular Nursing Awards and select the Research Article of the Year Award from the award drop down list.
For more detailed information on ProposalCentral, also included are additional materials on specific ProposalCentral functionality.
- How to Create an Application in ProposalCentral (PDF)
- How to Register a ProposalCentral User (PDF)
- How To Add Publications in ProposalCentral (PDF)
The winner will be recognized at the annual dinner of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing held during AHA's Scientific Sessions in November. The winner will receive:
- $500 honorarium
- Engraved plaque
- Complimentary council dinner ticket, plus recognition and presentation of the plaque at the council dinner
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Pre-Sessions Symposia & Early Career Day: November 10, 2023
Scientific Sessions: November 11–13, 2023
Pennsylvania Convention Center | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania