This program recognizes a mid-career investigator active in hypertension or cardiovascular research. Candidates include PhDs and/or MDs who are still within 5–20 years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
A winner, selected by the Council on Hypertension (HTN) Awards Committee, will be chosen to present a lecture at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
- 2023 Cyndya A. Shibao, MD, MSCI, FAHA
- 2022 Justin L. Grobe, PhD, FAHA
- 2021 Jennifer Pluznick, PhD
- 2020 Adam C. Straub, PhD
- 2019 Daniela Carnevale, PhD, FAHA
- 2018 Jennifer C. Sullivan, PhD, FAHA
- 2017 Alexander Staruschenko, PhD, FAHA
- 2016 Alejandro Chade MD, FAHA
- 2015 Kamal Rahmouni, PhD, FAHA
- 2014 Iris Z. Jaffe, BA, MD, PhD
- 2013 Jens Titze, MD
- All applicants for the award must be members of the Council on Hypertension by the time of application submission. If you need to become an AHA Professional Member, you should do so before submitting your abstract and award application materials. Join or renew today!
- Eligible candidates include PhDs and/or MDs who are still within 5–20 years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
- Notwithstanding the above, the AHA Officers have the discretion to determine eligibility for the award in extraordinary circumstances when there is an issue relating to AHA policy or positions or other potentially controversial issue relating to the positioning or perception of the AHA.
- Previous awardees are not eligible to re-apply for the award in subsequent years.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Past recipients of the Council on Hypertension Excellence Award for Hypertension Research are not eligible for this award.
- Each recipient of AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award each year per AHA scientific meeting.
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted. Please follow instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform.
Apply Now for the Hypertension Scientific Sessions Mid-Career Achievement Awards and Lectures and select the KCVD Mid-Career Achievement Award from the award drop down list.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A full Curriculum vitae, including all publications (abstracts not necessary)
- A signed letter of nomination from the sponsor and one supporting letter. The letters should outline why the candidate is worthy of recognition. This may include the candidate’s accomplishments in the field of cardiovascular disease as it relates to kidney failure, his or her volunteer activities with the AHA (affiliate and/or national level), teaching and mentoring activities, or a combination of these.
Please note: Members of the Council on Hypertension (HTN) Awards Committee are not eligible to write letters of support.
The winner will present a lecture during the Hypertension Scientific Sessions and will receive complimentary registration, a $1,000 honorarium, one (1) ticket to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions Awards Banquet, and an award plaque.
Honorees must attend Hypertension Scientific Sessions in-person to be eligible for a travel reimbursement of up to $1,000.
- Round-trip basic economy/coach airfare at the 21-day advance purchase rate, round-trip economy coach train fare, or reimbursement for gas at the rate allowed by the IRS for charitable organizations if the awardee drives.
- Hotel accommodation for one night at the conference rate.
- Ground transportation expenses to attend the conference (luxury transport is not a reimbursable expense.)
- To and from the awardee’s home airport to the conference hotel
- To and from the conference hotel to the airport
- Up to $70 in meal reimbursement (alcohol excluded).
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions, visit 2023 Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform