Irvine Page and Alva Bradley Lifetime Achievement Award
Sponsored by the Council on Hypertension
To qualify for this Hypertension Scientific Sessions award, sponsored by the Council on Hypertension, you must meet the following deadlines:
- May 31, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the Council on Hypertension.
- June 7, 2023, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to apply for awards requiring submission in the Council Awards Application System.
The Lifetime Achievement Award is named in honor of Dr. Irvine Page and Alva Bradley, who played a prominent role in establishing the National Foundation for High Blood Pressure Research in 1945. The foundation became the Council for High Blood Pressure Research for the American Heart Association in 1949. The council's name changed to Council on Hypertension in 2015.
- 2022 Alicia McDonough, PhD, FAHA
- 2021 Italo Biaggioni, MD, FAHA
- 2020 Anil K. Bidani, MD, FAHA
- 2019 George L. Bakris, MD, MA, FAHA, FASN
- 2018 William C. Cushman, MD, FAHA
- 2017 Gregory D. Fink, PhD, FAHA
- 2016 David Robertson MD, FAHA
- 2014 Brian J. Morris, DSc, PhD, FAHA Christine Baylis, PhD
- 2013 Clinton Webb, BS, MS, PhD
- 2012 James Sowers, MD
- 2011 Hiroko Nishimura, MD, DMSc
- 2010 Theodore Goodfriend, MD
- 2009 Leopoldo Raij, MD
- 2008 K. Bridget Brosnihan, PhD
- 2007 Ernesto L. Schiffrin, MD, PhD
- 2006 Christopher Wilcox, MD, PhD
- 2005 Alberto Nasjletti, MD
- 2004 John C. McGiff, MD
- 2003 Allyn L. Mark, MD
- 2002 Suzanne Oparil, MD
- 2001 Robert M. Carey, MD
- 2000 Patrick J. Mulrow, MD
- 1999 Myron H. Weinberger, MD
- 1998 David H.P. Streeten, MD
- 1997 Norman M. Kaplan, MD
- 1996 Edward G. Biglieri, MD
- 1995 William F. Ganong, MD
- 1994 Stevo Julius, MD, ScD
- 1993 Edward D. Frohlich, MD
- 1992 Ray W. Gifford, Jr., MD
- 1991 Harriet P. Dustan, MD
- 1990 Aram V. Chobanian, MD
- The Page-Bradley Lifetime Achievement Award is presented each year to an individual who has had a lifetime of outstanding achievements in the field of hypertension and has served as a role model through service, research and teaching. In general, the recipient of this award must have had a career spanning at least 25 years.
- A candidate may be nominated an unlimited number of times by different individuals in the same year. The Awards Committee will assess the candidates' overall scientific, teaching and service contributions to the field of hypertension and to the Council on Hypertension.
How to Make a Nomination/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted. Please follow instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform.
Apply Now for the Hypertension Scientific Sessions Lifetime Achievement Awards and Lectures and select the HTN Irvine Page-Alva Bradley Lifetime Achievement Award from the award drop down list.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format and must be submitted through the Council Awards Application System for consideration for this award:
- Nominee's curriculum vitae and bibliography
- A signed letter of nomination and two additional supporting letters from individuals who are familiar with the nominee's contribution to the field of hypertension and service to the council.
Members of the Council on Hypertension Awards Committee are not eligible to write support letters for applicants.
The award will be presented at the Hypertension Scientific Sessions.
The honoree will receive:
- $2,000 honorarium
- Complimentary registration to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions
- Two complimentary tickets to the Council Dinner
- Engraved plaque
- Round-trip coach airfare at the 21-day advance purchase rate for the awardee and their spouse or companion to and from the awardee’s home airport to the conference
- Hotel reimbursement (room + tax) for one night at the conference rate
- Ground transportation to and from the awardee’s home airport to the conference
- Meal reimbursement up to $70 for the awardee (alcohol excluded)
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Hypertension Scientific Sessions, visit 2023 Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Join or renew as an AHA Professional Member
- Submit your application at Council Awards Application System
- Instructions for ProposalCentral, the new Council Awards platform
- Council Awards: [email protected]
- Member Services: [email protected]
- Password/Login: [email protected]
- Abstract Submission: [email protected]
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers
Hypertension Scientific Sessions
September 7-10, 2023
Sheraton Boston Hotel | Boston, Massachusetts