To qualify for Hypertension Scientific Sessions awards, you must meet these deadlines. Please carefully check the eligibility and application requirements for each award.
This award honors excellence in research and discoveries in the field of hypertension as well as a researcher's contributions. The selection committee assesses the candidates' impact on their fields throughout their productive careers as well as any single discovery.
- Scientists with a background in hypertension research and those who have made a meritorious scientific discovery or discoveries, either alone or with others, may be considered. The Selection Committee will assess the candidates' overall credentials and their impact on the field of hypertension.
- A scientist may be nominated an unlimited number of times by different individuals in the same year.
- Previous winners are not eligible for nomination.
- Nominators may submit an updated application in subsequent years through the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System for nominees not selected. If a candidate falls out of the three-year consideration cycle without being selected for the award, he or she may be formally re-nominated.
- Past recipients of the Excellence in Hypertension Research Award (including previous names for the award) are not eligible to apply for other Council on Hypertension awards.
- Members of the Council on Hypertension Excellence Award in Hypertension Research Selection Committee are not eligible to write letters of support for the applicant.
How to Make a Nomination / Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Letter of nomination on behalf of the candidate or candidates that outlines a description of the work or discovery that qualifies for consideration for the award (members of the Excellence Award for HTN research selection committee cannot submit letters of nomination).
- Curriculum vitae, including all publications (abstracts not necessary).
- Three reference letters, one primary and two supporting, written on electronic letterhead, from people familiar with the candidate’s work and scientific contributions to the field of hypertension.
- Electronic copies of up to three of the candidate’s most important publications.
- Candidate biography (250 words or less), which may be used for publicity.
Special note: If you are nominating two or three individuals to be considered as a group, you will need to fill out a separate nomination form for each candidate but upload the same nomination letter and reference letters for each candidate since each letter will be supporting the group's nomination. The nomination elements that should be different in each candidate's file will be the CVs and the published articles for each.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
The winner will present a lecture during the Hypertension Scientific Sessions and will receive complimentary registration, a $2,500 honorarium, and an award medal medallion. Honorees presenting in-person at Hypertension Scientific Sessions will be honored at the Annual Council on Hypertension Awards Banquet and be eligible for certain travel reimbursements.
- Round-trip coach airfare at the 21-day advance purchase rate for you and your spouse or companion
- Hotel accommodations at the conference rate
- Ground transportation expenses to attend the conference
- *Up to $70 in meal reimbursement
- *Two tickets to the Annual Hypertension Scientific Sessions Awards Banquet
- VIP photo session with Council leadership and award sponsors
The Excellence Award for Hypertension Research
|2020||Giuseppe Mancia, MD, PhD|
|2019||Rhian M. Touyz, MBBCh, PhD, FMedSci, FAHA|
|2018||Paul K. Whelton, MB, MD, MSc, FAHA
R. Clinton Webb, PhD, FAHA
|2017||Allyn L. Mark, MD, FAHA
Richard J. Roman, PhD, FAHA
|2016||Suzanne Oparil, MD, FAHA
R. Ariel Gomez , MD, FAHA
|2015||Costantino Iadecola, MD
Pedro Jose, MD, PhD, FAHA
|2014||Thomas M. Coffman, MD
Toshiro Fujita, MD, PhD
|2013||Murray Esler, MBBS, PhD|
|2012||Robert M. Carey, MD, FAHA
L. Gabriel Navar, PhD, FAHA
The Novartis Award For Hypertension Research
|2011||Ernesto L. Schiffrin, MD, PhD
Christopher Wilcox, MD, PhD
|2010||John Oates, MD
Paul Vanhoutte, MD, PhD
|2009||Carlos M. Ferrario, MD
Curt D. Sigmund, PhD
|2008||Mordecai P. Blaustein, MD
John W. Funder, MD, PhD
Juan Carlos Romero, MD
|2007||Friedrich C. Luft, MD|
|2006||William B. Campbell, PhD
Theodore W. Kurtz, MD
|2005||Kenneth Bernstein, MD
Barry Brenner, MD
|2004||Jorge H. Capdevila, PhD
David G. Harrison, MD
|2003||M. Judah Folkman, MD|
|2002||John E. Hall, PhD
Gerald F. DiBona, MD
|2001||Victor J. Dzau, MD|
|2000||Hans R. Brunner, MD
Jay N. Cohn, MD
Haralambos Gavras, MD
|1999||Richard P. Lifton, MD, PhD|
|1998||Masashi Yanagisawa, MD, PhD|
|1997||Oscar A. Carretero, MD
Allen W. Cowley, Jr., PhD
Donald Dean Heistad, MD
The Ciba Award For Hypertension Research
|1996||Robert J. Lefkowitz, M.D.
Oliver Smithies, D.Phil.
|1995||Louis J. Ignarro, Ph.D.
Salvador Moncada, M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc., FRS
|1994||Adolfo J. Debold, O.C., Ph.D., FRSC
Ervin G. Erdos, M.D.
|1993||John Paul Rapp, D.V.M., Ph.D.|
|1992||Detlev Ganten, M.D., Ph.D.|
|1991||Salomon Z. Langer, M.D.
Andrew P. Somlyo, M.D.
Avril V. Somlyo, Ph.D.
|1990||Francois M. Abboud, M.D.
Michael J. Brody, Ph.D.
|1989||Edgar Haber, M.D.|
|1988||Robert R. Furchgott, Ph.D.
Ferld Murad, M.D., Ph.D.
|1987||Donald J. Reis, M.D.|
|1986||Maurice B. Burg, M.D.
John C. McGiff, M.D.
E. Eric Muirhead, M.D.
|1985||Pierre Corvol, M.D.
Joel Menard, M.D.
Tadashi Inagami, Ph.D.
|1984||David R. Bohr, M.D.|
|1983||David W. Cushman, Ph.D.
Miguel A. Ondetti, Ph.D.
Sergio Henrique Ferrelra, M.D., Ph.D.
|1982||Kyuzo Aoki, M.D.
Kozo Okamoto, M.D.
Yukio Yamori, M.D.
|1981||Edward D. Freis, M.D.
William B. Kannel, M.D.
|1980||Bjorn U.G. Folkow, M.D., Ph.D.
Arthur C. Guyton, M.D.
|1979||Karl H. Beyer, Jr., M.D.
James M. Sprague, Ph.D.
|1978||Louis Tobian, Jr., M.D.|
|1977||John A. Luetscher, M.D.
James F. Talt, FRS Sylvia Talt, Bsc, FRS
|1976||Raymond P. Ahlquist, Ph.D.
James W. Black, FRS
|1975||Lewis K. Dahl, M.D.
James O. Davis, M.D.
Walter Kempner, M.D.
The Stouffer Prize
|1972||Vincent P. Dole, M.D.
John W. Gofman, M.D.
Robert S. Gordon, Jr, M.D.
John L. Oncley, M.D.
|1970||Irvine H. Page, M.D.
Sir George Pickering, M.D
1969 Jerome W. Conn, M.D.
Jacques Genest, M.D.
Franz Gross, M.D.
John H. Laragh, M.D.
|1968||F. Merlin Bumpus, Ph.D.
W. Stanley Peart, M.D.
Robert Schwyzer, Ph.D.
Leonard T. Skeggs Jr., Ph.D.
|1967||John W. Cornforth, M.D.
U.S. Von Euler, M.D.
Peter Holtz, M.D.
George J. Pipjak, M.D.
|1966||Harry Goldblatt, M.D.
Ernst Klenk, M.D.
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Hypertension Scientific Sessions @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Sept. 27–29, 2021
A Virtual Event