The award submission period is April 14 - June 14, 2021.
The Kathleen A. Dracup Distinguished Lecture and Exemplary Career in Mentoring Award was established by the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing to recognize Dr. Kathleen Dracup as a Pillar of Excellence for exceptional and lifelong contributions to cardiovascular nursing, and CVSN’s commitment to fostering the development of the next generation of scientists. Dr. Dracup’s mentorship, dedication to and development of early-career cardiovascular nurse scientists has set in motion an incredible acceleration in the development in the cardiovascular nursing science and new knowledge to improve the care of patients with cardiovascular disease and their families.
The Dracup Distinguished Lecture is presented annually at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions. Honorees are selected by the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing Early Career Committee.
Purpose of the Award
This award will highlight the importance of early-career mentoring in cardiovascular and stroke nursing to the CVSN. This award honors a senior member of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing who is well-known for their gifts and generosity in mentoring early-career scientists.
- 2020 Sandra B. Dunbar, RN, PhD, FAAN, FAHA, FPCNA
- 2019 Marjorie Funk, PhD, RN, FAHA
- 2018 Karen Huss, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, FAHA
- 2017 Susan J. Pressler, PHD, RN, FAHA
- 2016 Debra Moser, PhD, MN
- 2015 Barbara J Riegel, PhD, RN, FAHA
- 2014 Barbara J. Drew, RN, PhD, FAHA
- 2013 Kathleen A. Dracup, RN, FNP, PHD, FAHA
- AHA member for a minimum of 5 years with notable involvement in the CVSN Council.
- Candidate must have an established and notable track record in mentoring future leaders in cardiovascular and stroke research, practice or leadership.
- Candidate must be available to present as keynote speaker of the early career sessions at AHA Scientific Sessions.
- Candidate has received previous recognition for mentoring (college, university, chapter, or national recognition)
- Candidate mentees have received national recognition for their contribution to cardiovascular and stroke science as evidence by contributions to the literature, contributions to evidence-based practice, contributions to health systems.
How to Make a Nomination
How to apply or make a nomination. Individuals may be nominated an unlimited number of times but may receive this award only once. Self-nomination is acceptable.
Re-nominations are encouraged for those not selected; however, the nominator must be willing to update the nomination package in subsequent cycles.
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A letter of recommendation from a colleague who can evaluate the candidate's contributions. The letter must address the eligibility and evaluation criteria.
- A copy of the candidate's curriculum vitae.
- A document listing of mentees and current positions.
The applications will go through the Council Award Application System and the award recipient will be selected by the CVSN Early Career Council. A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
- Complimentary registration to AHA Scientific Sessions
- $1,000 honorarium
- Engraved plaque
- Round-trip coach airfare to the conference at the 21-day advance purchase rate
- One-night hotel accommodations at the conference rate
- Ground transportation expenses to attend the conference
- Up to $70 in meal reimbursement
- Two complimentary tickets to the CVSN council dinner
AHA Professional Members are Difference Makers @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Scientific Sessions @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Nov. 13–15, 2021
Boston, MA + Virtual