To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2022 award you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 9, 2022 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the sponsoring Council.
- June 15, 2022, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to apply for Scientific Sessions 2022 awards in the Council Awards System.
For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2022 is June 13, 2022, 6 p.m. Central Time.
The Katharine A. Lembright Award and Lecture recognizes and encourages excellence in cardiovascular research by established nurse scientists. It honors Katharine A. Lembright, who as the American Heart Association's assistant director for nursing from 1960-81, played an important role in the development and growth of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing (CVSN).
- 2021 Anna Strömberg, PhD, RN, FAHA
"Research in Heart Failure Care- Looking Back and into the Future"
- 2020 Sabina M. De Geest, PhD, RN, FAHA, FAAN, FESC , FEANS, FRCN
- 2019 Terry A. Lennie, PhD, RN, FAHA
- 2018 Cynthia M. Dougherty, PhD, ARNP, FAHA
- 2017 Shirley M. Moore, PhD, RN, FAHA
- 2016 Simon Stewart, PhD
- 2015 Susan J. Pressler, PhD, RN, FAAN, FAHA
- 2014 Nancy Artinian, PhD, RN, FAHA, FPCNA, FAAN
- 2013 Tiny Jaarsma, RN, PhD
- 2012 Pamela Mitchell, PhD, RN, FAHA, FAAN
- 2011 Marjorie Funk, PhD, RN, FAHA, FAAN
- 2010 Lora Burke, PhD, RN, MPH, FAHA
- 2009 Jean McSweeney, PhD, RN, FAHA, FAAN
- 2008 Mariann Piano, RN, PhD, FAAN, FAHA
- 2007 Kathleen Grady, PhD, RN, FAAN, FAHA
- 2006 Debra Moser, PhD, DNSc, RN, FAHA
- 2005 Barbara Riegel, DNSc, RN
- 2004 Diane Becker, RN, ScD, MPH
- 2003 Martha N. Hill, PhD, BSN, MSN
- 2002 Joanne S. Harrell, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 2001 Barbara J. Drew, RN, PhD
- 2000 Dorie Schwertz, PhD
- 1999 Sandra B. Dunbar, RN, DSN, FAAN
- 1998 Jerilyn K. Allen, RN, ScD
- 1997 Laura Hayman, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 1996 Karyn Holm, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 1995 Susan L. Woods, PhD, RN
- 1994 Marguerite Kinney, DNSc, RN, FAAN
- 1993 Kathleen Dracup, DNSc, RN, FAAN
- 1992 Carolyn L. Murdaugh, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 1991 Susan R. Gortner, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 1990 Elizabeth Hahn Winslow, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 1989 Erika S. Sivarajan Froelicher, PhD, RN, FAAN
- 1988 Linda J. Baumann, PhD, RN
- 1987 Marie J. Cowan, PhD, RN, FAAN
- The candidate must be a current AHA member and have maintained an active member status in the council for a minimum of five years.
- The candidate must have an established track record in cardiovascular research (grants and publications).
- The candidate must have been actively involved in the American Heart Association.
- The candidate must be available to present a state-of-the-art lecture at the AHA Scientific Sessions.
- Candidate has received national recognition of research (awards, national presentations, national research committees and study section).
- Candidate has published articles in peer-reviewed journals.
- Candidate has been involved in the AHA at the affiliate, local or national level within the last five years with a history of contributions to AHA goals and objectives. Involvement may be demonstrated by any of the following:
- Council officer and/or committee member
- News contributor
- Board member
- Events chairperson and/or volunteer
- ACLS or PALS instructor
How to Apply/Required Documents
Individuals may be nominated an unlimited number of times, but may receive this award only once. Self-nomination is acceptable.
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the nomination cannot be accepted.
Renominations are encouraged for those not selected; however, the nominator must be willing to update the nomination package in subsequent cycles.
The nomination file (submitted on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- A letter of recommendation from a colleague who can evaluate the candidate's research contributions. The letter must address each of the major award evaluation criteria and indicate what distinguishes the candidate in each criterion.
- A copy of the candidate's curriculum vitae.
- Up to two optional additional letters of support from individuals familiar with the nominee's background or research may be submitted in the nomination file. All letters must be drafted on electronic letterhead with a signature, if possible.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete a nomination.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member identification numbers.
The winner will present a state-of-the-art lecture during Scientific Sessions and will be recognized at the Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing Council’s annual dinner at Scientific Sessions. The winner will also receive:
- $2,000 honorarium
- Engraved plaque
- Round-trip coach airfare to the conference at the 21-day advance purchase rate
- One-night hotel accommodations at the conference rate
- Ground transportation expenses to attend the conference
- Up to $70 in meal reimbursement
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions
- Two complimentary council dinner tickets