To qualify for this Scientific Sessions 2022 award you must meet the following deadlines:
- June 9, 2022 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with the sponsoring Council.
- June 15, 2022, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to apply for Scientific Sessions 2022 awards in the Council Awards System.
For awards requiring abstract submission, the deadline to submit your science to Scientific Sessions 2022 is June 13, 2022, 6 p.m. Central Time.
In honor of Dr. Marie Cowan’s enduring legacy of scientific excellence and mentorship, the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing is honored to present the Marie Cowan Promising Early Career Investigator Award to a junior investigator each year who demonstrates the scientific excellence and spirit of innovation exemplified by Dr. Cowan’s work.
Dr. Cowan was as a leader in the American Heart Association and for nursing. She was a “trailblazer” and an inspiration to many nurses. Dr. Cowan’s legacy of scientific excellence and mentorship will continue through the many contributions she made to the council, the American Heart Association and the nursing profession.
- 2021 Billy A. Caceres, PhD, RN, FAHA
- 2020 Mary Rezk-Hanna
- 2019 Christine A. Haedtke
- 2018 Brittany Butts
- 2017 Linda Park
- 2016 Anne Fink PhD
- 2015 Salah Al-Zaiti
- 2014 Selina Kikkenborg Berg
- 2013 Christopher Lee
- 2012 Rebecca Dekker
To meet the eligibility criteria for Early Career awards:
- Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or be active in research and within 10 years of completing medical fellowship (or residency as NIH states, MDs would be Fellows for 3-6 years of the 7-10), terminal degree or highest certificate (e.g. MSc, PhD), as of the award application date.
- Applicant must be a junior investigator actively engaged in biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular and stroke nursing research.
- Applicant must be a member of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing at the time of application. Those needing to join the AHA should do so one week prior to the application submission deadline for the member account to be processed in time for the Application System to permit submission by the deadline. Learn more about AHA Professional Membership.
- Applicant must hold a full-time position.
- Applicants should not apply for the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing's Martha Hill Early Career Investigator Award in the same year they apply for this award.
- Past recipients of this award are not eligible to compete again.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Awardee must agree to attend the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions and the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing annual dinner, to accept the award
Applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
- Evidence of excellence in biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research.
- Evaluation of a published, data-based, peer-reviewed article focused on biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research.
- Two required letters of nomination that outline the current and projected contributions of the applicant to biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research and that provide evidence that the applicant is embarking on a sustained program of productive research.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is mandatory for all awards. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
The application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Curriculum vitae (with bibliography) or biosketch in NIH format
- Reprint of a published, data-based, peer-reviewed article focused on biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research
- Two letters of nomination that outline the current and projected contributions of the applicant to biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research and that provide evidence that the applicant is embarking on a sustained program of productive research. Each letter should be written on electronic letterhead and include a signature.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA member account identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Member account is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA member account number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than one week prior to the application submission deadline for the member account number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
The winner will receive:
- $500 honorarium
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions
- Complimentary council dinner ticket, and recognition and presentation of a plaque at the council dinner