Award Application Window: April 15–June 19, 2020 at 8 p.m. (Central Time)
In honor of Dr. Marie Cowan’s enduring legacy of scientific excellence and mentorship, the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing is honored to present the Marie Cowan Promising Early Career Investigator Award to a junior investigator each year who demonstrates the scientific excellence and spirit of innovation exemplified by Dr. Cowan’s work.
Dr. Cowan was as a leader in the American Heart Association and for nursing. She was a “trailblazer” and an inspiration to many nurses. Dr. Cowan’s legacy of scientific excellence and mentorship will continue through the many contributions she made to the council, the American Heart Association and the nursing profession.
- 2020 Mary Rezk-Hanna, PhD, NP
- Applicant must be a junior investigator actively engaged in biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular and stroke nursing research.
- Applicant must hold an earned doctorate obtained not more than five years prior to the award application date.
- Applicant must be a partner of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing at the time of application. Those needing to join the AHA should do so by May 30 for the partner account to be processed in time for the Application System to permit submission by the deadline. Learn more about becoming an AHA Professional Partner.
- Applicant must hold a full-time position.
- Applicants should not apply for the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing's Martha Hill Early Career Investigator Award in the same year they apply for this award.
- Past recipients of this award are not eligible to compete again.
- There are no citizenship requirements.
- Awardee must agree to attend the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions and the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing annual dinner, to accept the award
Applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
- Evidence of excellence in biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research.
- Evaluation of a published, data-based, peer-reviewed article focused on biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research.
- Two required letters of nomination that outline the current and projected contributions of the applicant to biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research and that provide evidence that the applicant is embarking on a sustained program of productive research.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is mandatory for all awards. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
The application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Curriculum vitae (with bibliography) or biosketch in NIH format
- Reprint of a published, data-based, peer-reviewed article focused on biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research
- Two letters of nomination that outline the current and projected contributions of the applicant to biobehavioral/physiologic cardiovascular nursing research and that provide evidence that the applicant is embarking on a sustained program of productive research. Each letter should be written on electronic letterhead and include a signature.
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online partner profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Partners who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA partner account identification numbers.
An active AHA Professional Partner account is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA partner account number to arrive from AHA Partner Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new partners join the AHA by May 30 for the partner account number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
The winner will receive:
- $500 honorarium
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions
- Complimentary council dinner ticket, and recognition and presentation of a plaque at the council dinner
American Heart Association Professional Membership @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Renew or join as a Professional Member today to make a difference.
Scientific Sessions 2020 @Model.Item.RenderHeadingSizeTag("h2")>
Nov. 13-17, 2020
Join us for a Virtual Experience