To qualify for this Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine award you must meet the following deadlines:
- January 6, 2023 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with this Council.
- January 18, 2023, 6 p.m. Central Time – Deadline to submit your science to Vascular Discovery: From Genes to Medicine 2023 and to apply for this award.
- The work covered by the abstract must not have been published at the time of abstract submission or presented at a national meeting or world congress before May 9, 2023.
The applicant must:
- Be a member of the American Heart Association (member account number required to complete award application).
- The senior author must be a member of the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology.
- Be a junior female investigator in training in 1 or more ATVB fields at the time of application (graduate student or postdoctoral fellow, with no more than 5 consecutive years as a postdoctoral fellow).
- Achieve a rating among the top 5 abstracts, fitting the criteria presented above.
- Be the first author of the submitted abstract, which must not be published before the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions. Abstract must meet the annual conference criteria and be selected for presentation.
- Be present at the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions 2023 to qualify for this award.
- Applicant may apply for more than one award, however, a different abstract must be submitted for each award application, and the applicant will only be eligible to be a finalist for one award.
- Finalists are not eligible to compete in subsequent years.
Prizes will be designated on the basis of scientific merit, quality, and originality of the abstract presentation.
The finalists will present their abstracts during the Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions. The winner will receive an engraved plaque and $1,500. Runners-up will each receive a plaque and a $500 travel stipend.
The finalists will be acknowledged at the Mentor of Women Award Luncheon, which is sponsored by the Women’s Leadership Committee; the winner will be announced at the conference.
How to Apply
The applicant must:
- Submit an original abstract to Vascular Discovery Scientific Sessions. The abstract must be in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts and must have been submitted by the abstract submission deadline.
- Select the Emerging Scientist Award for Women during the abstract submission process.
- The following must be submitted by uploading into the abstract submission system (at the "Award Application Materials Upload" step):
- A cover letter declaring the application for Emerging Scientist Award for Women.
- A complete curriculum vitae, including bibliography, and clear documentation demonstrating that the applicant is a junior female investigator in training in 1 or more ATVB fields at the time of application (graduate student or postdoctoral fellow, with no more than 5 consecutive years as a postdoctoral fellow), at the time of the award application date.
- 2022 Cadence Lee, BA, ScM.
- 2021 Tanyporn Pattarabanjird, BS
- 2020 Taliha Nadeem, PhD
- 2019 Cong-Lin Liu, MD, PhD
- 2019 Haiyan Chu, PhD
- 2018 Jevgenia Zilberman-Rudenko, BS
- 2017 Carrie Wiese, BS
- 2016 Amy C. Burke, BMSc
- 2015 Delphine Gomez, PhD
- 2014 Sarah Mueller
- 2013 Kimberly Martinod
- 2012 Alanna Strong, BS
- 2012 Catherine Martel, PhD
- 2011 Mahua Chakraborty, MS
- 2010 Praveena Thiagarajan, MD
- 2009 Amanda Doran, BA
- 2008 Katey Rayner, BS
- 2007 Anny Mulya, PhD
- 2006 Anne M. Curtis, PhD
- 2005 Ranasinghe Silva, PhD
- 2004 Shaila Bhat
- 2004 Kara Maxwell