Award Application Window: April 19–June 20, 2017 at 5 p.m. (Central time)
The Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology Scientific Sessions Travel Awards for Young Investigators encourage and support the efforts of early career investigators in cardiovascular research, and encourages early career investigators, women and under-represented minorities to participate in ATVB and other AHA activities.
These awards provide travel funding for early career investigators who have abstracts accepted to the AHA's Scientific Sessions. A limited number of grants are available and based on the applicant's abstract score as determined by American Heart Association reviewers.
All applicants for travel grants sponsored by a scientific council must be members of the AHA/ASA at any level. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, please apply before the application deadline date for your membership to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA membership.
- Applicant must be active in research and still be in training as an undergraduate or pre-doctoral student, or a fellow who has completed training only within the last four years; or be a PhD/MD in the first four years after faculty appointment.
- Abstract must be submitted to the AHA Scientific Sessions in accordance with the AHA's rules and regulations for submitting abstracts.
- Applicants must submit an abstract in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the AHA Scientific Sessions to one of the categories primarily sponsored by the ATVB Council. Please view the list of abstract categories associated with this travel award (PDF). If your abstract is not accepted in a ATVB-sponsored category, you are not eligible to apply for this specific grant. Abstract presenters will be notified in August.
- Applicants may apply for a travel stipend multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel stipend, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
** Candidates may apply for more than one travel award; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel stipend.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Previously unpublished abstract in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The abstract should be submitted to Scientific Sessions before applying for this award as your abstract control number will be needed on the application form.
- Original letter on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer, simply indicating the applicant’s status as a student, postdoctoral fellow, or faculty within five years of appointment. No additional references are required.
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file.