To qualify for Scientific Sessions 2021 Travel Grants you must meet these deadlines.
Please carefully check the eligibility and application requirements for each award.
- June 10, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to submit your general science abstract to Scientific Sessions 2021.
- August 6, 2021 – Deadline to have an active AHA membership with Council sponsoring the award.
- August 13, 2021, 6 p.m. CDT – Deadline to apply for awards requiring submission in Council Awards Application System.
Sponsored by the Council on Genomic and Precision Medicine
The Council on Genomic and Precision Medicine (GPM) proudly supports and encourages the research efforts of early career investigators and trainees from the United States and abroad. The Council is offering a travel grant to international students and early career members to attend Scientific Sessions, to present abstracts. The award will honor accomplished international students and early career investigators while enabling them to get more involved in the AHA and in Scientific Sessions.
- The applicant must be conducting genomics, proteomics and metabolomic research and translational science in the field of cardiovascular disease.
- Applicants must have submitted an abstract to the AHA Scientific Sessions in accordance with the rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to one of the categories primarily sponsored by the Council on Genomic and Precision Medicine. Please view a list of Scientific Sessions Council Awards and Travel Grants Available by Abstract Category and Community (PDF) and their affiliated early career investigator awards. If your abstract is not submitted to and accepted in a GPM-sponsored category, you are not eligible to apply for this specific grant.
- All applicants for this award must be members of the Council at the time of application. If you need to become an AHA/ASA Professional Member, you should do so no later than May 30 for your membership to be processed in time for the application submission deadline. Learn more about AHA membership.
- Applicants must currently be medical students, trainees, or Early Career Investigators. Trainees are PhDs and/or MDs (or doctoral equivalent) who are in a residency or fellowship position. Early Career Investigators are PhDs and/or MDs who have completed training only within the last four years or who are still within in the first four years after their first faculty appointment, as of the award application date.
- Winners are not eligible to re-enter the competition in subsequent years.
- The applicant must be able to present the abstract at the AHA Scientific Sessions, either in an oral abstract session or a poster session. If the applicant is unable to present the abstract, he/she will be disqualified from the award.
- Applicants may apply for a travel award multiple times with different abstracts, as long as the applicant is the presenting author on each abstract. However, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel stipend, even if multiple abstracts are accepted to Scientific Sessions.
- The candidate must not be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and the candidate must currently be working outside the United States.
- Each applicant for AHA council-sponsored awards, regardless of award category, is eligible to receive only one council-sponsored award per AHA conference per year. (For example, an Early Career Investigator Award finalist will not be eligible to receive a travel grant for the same meeting.)
The selection committee will consider the following criteria to determine the most deserving applicants:
- Academic record of the applicant
- Applicant’s perceived interest in biomedical research
- Mentor’s assessment of the applicant’s commitment to biomedical research
- Evidence of an excellent environment for research training for the applicant
The applicant’s abstract must have also been selected for presentation at Scientific Sessions.
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required by deadline list above. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted. All application materials must be submitted in English.
**Candidates may apply for more than one travel award; however, an applicant is eligible to receive only one travel stipend.
Your application file should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography.
- Proof of citizenship in specified country (ID card or passport copy)
- A copy of the unpublished abstract that has been submitted for presentation to Scientific Sessions in accordance with AHA rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to Scientific Sessions. The candidate should be the first and presenting author on the abstract. Please note the abstract control number you receive after submitting your abstract as it will be needed on your award application form.
- Applicant’s personal statement (no longer than one page, double-spaced), outlining the following:
- Your research interests and long term career goals
- How genomic and precision medicine within the cardiovascular field fit into your long term goals
- How receipt of the GPM’s Minority Travel Grant will enhance future long-term goal
- Reference letter, preferably on electronic letterhead, signed by the candidate’s supervisor or an appropriate institutional officer which includes the following:
- Statement of the candidate’s specific international status and confirmation that the candidate meets all of the basic eligibility requirements listed above
- Candidate’s key accomplishments to date (or other forms of demonstrated excellence and recognition in the case of very junior trainees)
- Assessment of relevant scientific attributes (intellectual curiosity, drive, critical thinking, problem-solving)
- Potential for future success as a competitive investigator
Visit the Council Awards Application System to complete an application.
A username and password set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, you may register as you enter the Application System by clicking "Sign Up" next to the Log In button on the sign-in page. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than May 30 for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline. The membership number will be required on the award application form.
Up to two $1,000 travel grants will be awarded annually. The honorees will receive up to $1,000 each to help defray travel expenses to attend AHA Scientific Sessions to present their abstracts.
Reimbursement up to $1,000 each will be made after eligible travel receipts (airfare, hotel, ground transportation) are submitted to the AHA after the meeting. Meals are not included as reimbursable expenses. Awardees will be required to pay his or her own registration costs for the meeting.
- For rules and regulations for submitting abstracts to the Scientific Sessions, visit Abstract Submission Guidelines (PDF)"
- Submit your application at Council Awards System
- Join or renew AHA/ASA Professional Membership