2017 AHA/ACC Focused Update of the 2014 AHA/ACC Guideline for the Management of Patients With Valvular Heart Disease
- VHD prevalence in the United States is 2.5% with no difference between males and females.
- Valvular heart disease management is rapidly evolving, with advances in diagnostic imaging, and improvements in catheter-based and surgical interventions.
- This update of the 2014 guidelines on the management of patients with heart valve disease includes changes in indications for:
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for infective endocarditis (IE)
- The use of direct oral anticoagulants (DOACs) among patients with atrial fibrillation and heart valve disease
- Indications for transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Surgical management of patients with primary and secondary mitral regurgitation (MR)
- Management of patients with a heart valve prosthesis