Why is this program important?
- Heart disease is the No. 1 cause of death in America – killing more people than all types of cancer combined – and stroke is the No. 5 cause.
- In the United States, someone has a coronary event every 25 seconds, and someone has a stroke every 40 seconds.
- Scientists are working to develop treatments, but research funding in the United States is declining at an alarming rate.
- The Science & Technology Accelerator is a translational science program created to help fill the void – bringing together scientific innovators with investors and clinical development experts, who can quickly move potentially lifesaving advances to the market.
How does the program work?
- Candidates for investment are gathered from many sources.
- Each innovation undergoes initial screening by experts in the applicable field for scientific validity and potential for huge impact on outcomes.
- Surviving candidates then undergo full due diligence evaluation for both their scientific and commercial potential, including likelihood of repayment of investment.
- A committee of volunteer experts from multiple disciplines reviews the due diligence reports, selecting those innovations which will receive investment funds.
The Accelerator Committee