To be eligible for consideration AHA/ASA Fellowship, the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements at the time of application.
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Dues are up-to-date.
- Be affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA for a minimum of 2 years; the 2-years need not be consecutive.
Fellowship is reserved for scientists working in the area of peripheral vascular disease and to clinical professionals engaged in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with peripheral vascular disease whose accomplishments support the objectives of the AHA/ASA and the Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD) Council, and who have actively supported the association through volunteer service. Candidates must be able to meet each of the following criteria:
- Must be able to demonstrate ongoing interest and contributions after completing training in peripheral vascular disease through research, education and/or care of patients.
- Scientists must be making meritorious contributions to the field of peripheral vascular disease, as evidenced by at least four published articles.
- Clinical professionals must provide documentation of training or experience in a specialty related to diagnosis or management.
- Must be able to demonstrate significant current and/or past volunteer service and/or leadership to the AHA/ASA. Volunteer service to the AHA/ASA can be demonstrated through leadership and/or involvement in at the AHA/ASA national, council, affiliate and/or local level(s), including but not limited to:
- Active participation as members and chairpersons of AHA and/or CVSN committees, boards and task forces at the local, affiliate, and/or national level
- Development and Fundraising (Heart Walk, galas, Go Red fund raisers, etc.); leadership roles such as organizing Heart Walk teams, raising funds, promoting AHA events and recruiting others to participate
- Advocacy efforts including participating in You’re the Cure, leading policy adoption or change, informing legislators about AHA and cardiovascular health issues at state and national levels
- Professional and lay education programs including serving as an invited speaker, participating in a local AHA speakers bureau, providing talks for Go Red activities, media activities, leading education activities and Get with the Guidelines
- Sharing expertise through AHA research and scholarship activities such as serving on a writing group, abstract grading, and research grant peer review.
Please note: AHA membership and attending and/or presenting at the AHA Scientific Session or other AHA sponsored conference will not be considered volunteer service.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The PVD Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- Jan. 30 - 5 p.m. CST for the spring review cycle
- July 30 - 5 p.m. CDT for the spring review cycle
Applications cannot be successfully submitted after the deadline
How to Apply
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print subscription [if applicable] are up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal subscription) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society. To apply for AHA Fellowship please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password to apply online through the Council Awards Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted.
- Attach documentation as required; applications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted through the online system. Required documents include:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, including bibliography
- Scientist candidates must include one (1) recent reprint as senior author that is relative to the general problem of peripheral vascular disease.
- Clinical candidates must include documentation of formal training and/or experience in a relevant clinical specialty.
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter may be from any active AHA Fellow, must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and signed by the proposer - an electronic signature is acceptable.
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the submission the photograph may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and Professional Heart Daily web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Chose Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation on your dashboard page
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Peer Review and Election Processes
Recognition and Acknowledgement
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA//ASA FAHAs receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:Email: Professional.Membership@Heart.org
Phone: (214) 706-1293