At the time of application, the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level
- Has been a member of the AHA at any level for at least 2 year
- Be affiliated with the council through which they are applying
- Has up-to-date dues
AHA/ASA Fellowship conferred by the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention is reserved for Premium Professional members who are scientists, physicians, clinical professionals and academicians with a major and productive interest in CV disease epidemiology and/or CV disease prevention, and whose accomplishments support the stated objectives of the AHA/ASA and the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate manifestation of continued interest and intention to remain active in any aspect of epidemiology and/or prevention as evidenced by:
- Has been actively involved in the field of CVD epidemiology or CVD prevention for at least 5 years.
- Has made substantial contributions to the field as evidenced by approximately 8 publications in peer reviewed journals in the field of CVD epidemiology or prevention with at least 2 manuscripts as first author or equivalent as reflected by participation in research activities.
- Clinical or community service in CVD epidemiology or prevention or teaching in the field of CVD epidemiology or prevention.
- Significant and current or past volunteer service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA. Significant and current service to the AHA can be demonstrated through leadership and involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to active participation on committees, boards and task forces; development and fundraising (Heart Walk, galas, etc.); advocacy efforts; professional and lay education programs including writing groups, abstract grading, speakers bureau and Get with the Guidelines; and research grant peer review.
- International candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
Please note: Attending and/or presenting at the EPI | Lifestyle Scientific Sessions, Scientific Sessions or other AHA sponsored conference may be considered scholarly contributions but not as volunteer service/leadership within the AHA/ASA.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The Council on Epidemiology and Prevention considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications must be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System by the deadline date/time to be successfully submitted:
- Dec. 1 - 5 p.m. Central Time for the spring review cycle
- July 10 - 5 p.m. Central Time for the fall review cycle
Please note that applications entered after the deadline date/time cannot be successfully submitted.
How to Apply
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA Fellow (dues up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues) who is well acquainted with the candidate's current professional activities and AHA/ASA volunteer involvement. The proposer need not be affiliated with the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention. To apply for AHA Fellowship, please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password to apply online through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delays; incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted.
- Attach documentation as required; Please note: applications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae with complete bibliography
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and be signed by the proposer - electronic signature is acceptable.
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the photograph may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and Professional Heart Daily.
Locate a Proposer
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password.
- Select you personalized Dashboard page.
- Select Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation
- Select Advanced Search.
- Select Council.
- Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Review and Election Process
Recognition and Acknowledgement
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA/ASA FAHAs receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions.
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293