- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level
- Dues are up-to-date.
- Be affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA for a minimum of 2 years; the 2-years need not be consecutive.
or call (800) 787-8984 (Inside U.S.) / (301) 223-2307 (Outside U.S.)
Candidates applying for AHA/ASA Fellowship through the CVSA Council must be making meritorious contributions in the area of cardio-thoracic surgery, vascular surgery or anesthesia as evidenced by:
- Scientists must have two peer-reviewed publications in the last 3 years in cardio-thoracic or vascular surgery, or anesthesia.
- Clinicians who have been board-certified for the last 3 years.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate significant and current service to AHA:
- Committee Participation: Active participation on committees, boards, and/or task forces.
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in Heart Walks, galas, etc.
- Advocacy Efforts: Active participation in You're the Cure grassroots efforts.
- Educational Programs for Professionals and Lay People: Abstract grading, writing groups, speakers' bureaus, and Get With the Guidelines.
- Peer Review: AHA/ASA journals and research grants.
- International candidates must be able to show evidence of significant and current and/or past volunteer service in similar organizations and societies in their respective countries or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the U.S.
Application Submission Deadlines
- February 1 - 5 p.m. (Spring Review Cycle) 5:00 p.m. Central Time
- July 1 - 5 p.m. (Fall Review Cycle)
- Applications submitted after the deadline dates cannot be successfully submitted
How to Apply
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password to apply online through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted:
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Scientist candidates must submit complete bibliography
- Scientist candidates must submit one (1) recent reprint as senior author that is relative to the general problem of to the general area of quality of care and outcomes research.
- Clinical candidates must submit documentation of formal training and/or experience in a relevant clinical specialty.
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead and signed by the proposer (electronic signature is acceptable).
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the photograph may be used to recognize newly elected Fellows in Connections and Professional Heart Daily web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Chose Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation on your dashboard page
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Peer Review and Election Process
Recognition and Acknowledgement
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293