To be eligible for consideration for AHA/ASA Fellowship, the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements at the time of application.
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Dues are up-to-date.
- Be affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA for a minimum of 2 years; the 2-years need not be consecutive.
AHA/ASA Fellowship conferred by the 3CPR Councils is open to biomedical researchers, internists, cardiologists, pulmonary specialists, anesthesiologists, surgeons, critical and emergency care specialists, respiratory therapists, and health care professionals whose accomplishments support the AHA mission.
- Candidates must be able to show evidence of leadership in and contributions to cardiopulmonary, critical care, perioperative medicine and/or resuscitation through practice, research, education or care of patients Some examples include research, publishing and presenting high-impact cardiopulmonary and critical care science, outstanding mentorship, recognition through institutions or professional organizations, and leadership roles in public health organizations.
- Candidates must be able to show evidence of significant current and/or past service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA. Volunteer leadership/service can be demonstrated through involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to:
- Committee Participation: Active participation on committees, boards, and/or task forces.
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in Heart Walks, galas, etc.
- Advocacy Efforts: Active participation in You're the Cure grassroots efforts.
- Educational Programs for Professionals and Lay People: Abstract grading, writing groups, speakers' bureaus, and Get With the Guidelines.
- Peer Review: AHA/ASA journals and research grants.
- International candidates must be able to show evidence of significant and current and/or past volunteer service in similar organizations and societies in their respective countries or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the U.S.
Please note: AHA membership and attending and/or presenting at the AHA Scientific Sessions or other AHA sponsored conference will not be considered volunteer service.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The 3CPR Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- Spring Review Cycle: February 5 – 5 p.m.
- Fall Review Cycle: August 1 – 5 p.m.
- Applications entered after the deadlines cannot be successfully submitted.
How to Apply
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print subscription [if applicable] are up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal subscription) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society. To apply for AHA Fellowship please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password to apply online through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- Complete bibliography.
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and be signed by the proposer; an electronic signature is acceptable.
- Head and shoulder photograph that may be used to recognize newly elected Fellows in Connections, AHA journals and Professional Heart Daily web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Chose Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation on your dashboard page
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Review and Election Process
Recognition and Acknowledgement
Newly elected Fellows will be recognized at the 3CPR Annual Dinner held during the Scientific Sessions; newly elected Fellows are strongly encouraged to attend this event.
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, Fellows receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:Email: Professional.Membership@Heart.org
Phone: (214) 706-1293