To be eligible for consideration AHA/ASA Fellowship, the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA for a minimum of 2 years; the 2-years need not be consecutive.
- Membership must be at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Membership must be affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
- Dues must be up-to-date.
Fellowship conferred by the BCVS Council is reserved for members who are making meritorious research accomplishments in any aspect of basic cardiovascular sciences and who have actively supported the AHA/ASA through volunteer service. Nominees must be able to meet each of the criteria as defined:
- Show evidence of manifestation of continued interest and intention to remain active in any aspect of basic cardiovascular sciences.
- Has served in a faculty or investigative position for 2 or more years after completing research training.
- Has published 3 or more first-author peer-reviewed papers addressing fundamental scientific questions.
- Holds membership or Fellowship in other research or professional organizations.
- Show evidence of significant current and/or past volunteer service and/or leadership to the AHA/ASA. Volunteer service to the AHA/ASA can be demonstrated through leadership and/or involvement in at the AHA/ASA national, council, affiliate and/or local level(s), including but not limited to:
- Committee Participation: Active participation as members or chairperson on committees, boards, and/or task forces at the local, affiliate or National level.
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation and leadership roles such as organizing teams, raising funds, and recruiting others to participate in Heart Walks, galas, Go Red for Women, etc.;
- Advocacy Efforts: Active participation in grassroots efforts including participating in You’re the Cure, leading policy adoption or change, informing legislators about AHA and cardiovascular health issues at state and national levels;
- Educational Programs for Professionals and Lay People: including serving as an invited speaker, participating in a local AHA speakers bureau, providing talks for Go Red activities, media activities, leading education activities and Get with the Guidelines;
- Peer Review: Sharing expertise through AHA research and scholarship activities such as serving on a writing group, abstract grading, and research grant peer review.
International candidates must be able to show evidence of significant and current and/or past volunteer service in similar organizations and societies in their respective countries or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the U.S.;
Please note: AHA membership and attending and/or presenting at the BCVS Annual Conference, AHA Scientific Sessions, or other AHA sponsored conferences is not considered volunteer service.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The BCVS Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- April 15 – 5 p.m. Central Time (Spring Review Cycle)
- Sept. 1 – 5 p.m. (Fall Review Cycle)
- Applications submitted after the deadline cannot be successfully submitted
How to Apply
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print subscription [if applicable] are up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal subscription) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society. To apply for AHA Fellowship please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password to apply online through the Council Awards Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach all required documentation; please do not attach dummy documents in order to successfully submit the application. Applications that include dummy documents will be disqualified and will not be considered.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, including complete bibliography
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and signed by the proposer (electronic signature is acceptable).
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the photograph may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and the Professional Heart Daily website.
Locate A Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Chose Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation on your dashboard page
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Peer Review and Election Processes
Recognition and Acknowledgement
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA/ASA Fellows receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/FAHA Maintenance
AHA Fellows elected through the BCVS Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.
Beginning in 2016, BCVS FAHAs are no longer required to take the print subscription to the Circulation Research journal for FAHA status.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:Email: Professional.Membership@Heart.org
Phone: (214) 706-1293