The criteria are established by the KCVD Leadership Committee in concert with the AHA’s Science Advisory and Coordinating Committee. Candidates must be able meet each of the criteria as defined. The candidate must:
- Be able to show significant, independent contributions in the field of basic, clinical epidemiological hypertension, nephrology, and vascular biology research or in relevant basic sciences.
- Domestic candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service to the AHA. Significant and current service to the AHA can be demonstrated through leadership and involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to active participation on committees, boards and task forces; development and fundraising (Heart Walk, galas, etc.); advocacy efforts; professional and lay education programs including writing groups, abstract grading, speakers bureau and Get with the Guidelines; and research grant peer review.
- International candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
Please note: Attending and/or presenting at the AHA Scientific Session or other AHA sponsored conference is not considered volunteer service.
Application Submission and Deadlines
How to Apply
Candidates must be proposed by an active AHA Fellow (dues up-to-date) who is affiliated with the KCVD Council and is well acquainted with your current professional activities. Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying annual dues and subscribing to the print journal. To apply for AHA Fellowship, please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password to apply online through the Council Awards Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Complete bibliography
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must be written on business letterhead, signed by the proposer, and clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria.
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the submission of a photograph is optional and may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and Professional Heart Daily web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password.
- Select Membership.
- Under Membership, select Membership Directory, select Advanced Search.
- Select Council.
- Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Review and Election Process
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowships
Phone: (214) 706-1293