Award Deadline: Award Application Window: April 20, 2016 - June 13, 2016
The Research Article of the Year Award recognizes the importance of the written word in promoting the goals of the American Heart Association and cardiovascular and stroke nursing encourages the dissemination of cardiovascular nursing science; and applauds the author(s) for clearly communicating the nursing perspective in the context of cardiovascular research, practice and theory.
- The candidate must be a cardiovascular nurse and the first author of the article.
- The candidate must be a member of the Council of Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing at the time of nomination. Those needing to join the AHA should do so by May 30.
- Candidates may be self-nominated or nominated by others.
- Nominations will require the submission of research articles that clearly relate to the goals of the American Heart Association and cardiovascular nursing.
- Submitted articles must be peer-reviewed and published.
Submitted articles will be evaluated on:
- Scientific merit
- Sound research design
- Rigorous, valid, sensitive, reliable and feasible methodology
- Originality, significance, timeliness
- Potential to contribute to cardiovascular knowledge, practice and future research
- Logical development and linkage of ideas
- Clear expression of ideas
How to Apply/Required Documents
Electronic submission through the Council Awards Application System is required. Hard copies of any part of the application cannot be accepted.
The application file (filled out on the nominee’s behalf) should contain the following documents in PDF format:
- Cover letter of application or nomination
- Published article reprint for consideration
- Curriculum vitae, including bibliography
Visit the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
A username and password previously set up through online profile registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, please visit Professional Heart Daily to create an online member profile before accessing the Council Awards Application System. AHA Professional Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification numbers.
AHA Professional Membership is required of all applicants for this award. If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait on your AHA membership number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application file. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than May 30 for the membership number to be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
The winner will be recognized at the annual dinner of the Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing held during AHA's Scientific Sessions in November. The winner will receive:
- $500 honorarium
- Engraved plaque
- Complimentary council dinner ticket, plus recognition and presentation of the plaque at the council dinner
- Complimentary registration to Scientific Sessions