Sponsored by the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology
This lecture originated in 1982 and was designated as a vascular biology lecture in 1997 when the Arteriosclerosis Council, the Thrombosis Council and the Vascular Biology Working Group merged. In 1999 it was renamed to honor Dr. Russell Ross, who made notable contributions to the understanding of the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis and whose studies had a profound impact on atherosclerosis research and vascular biology.
The Ross Lecture is one of three ATVB named lectures presented annually at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions. Honorees are selected by ATVB Council leadership and are invited to present a lecture on a topic of their choice.
The following is a list of Award Honorees
Current Awardee: 2016 Ira Tabas, M.D., Ph.D.
- 1998 Russell Ross, Ph.D.
- 1999 Robert D. Rosenberg, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2000 Michael A. Gimbrone, M.D.
- 2001 Peter Libby, M.D.
- 2002 Shaun R. Coughlin, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2003 Bradford C. Berk, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2004 Garret FitzGerald, M.D.
- 2005 Elizabeth Nabel, M.D.
- 2006 Mark Taubman, M.D.
- 2007 Gary K. Owens, Ph.D.
- 2008 Peter Newman, M.D.
- 2009 Roy L. Silverstein, M.D.
- 2010 Jordan Pober, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2011 David Cheresh, Ph.D.
- 2012 Mukesh Jain, M.D., FAHA
- 2013 Karin Bornfeldt, Ph.D.
- 2014 Christopher K. Glass, B.A., M.D., Ph.D.
- 2015 Klaus Ley M.D., FAHA