Our goals are to:
- Help young physicians and scientists outside the United States to develop their professional careers.
- Promote the highest possible quality of science and practice in cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease
throughout the world by enriching the scientific base of junior scientists and physicians.
- Increase international collaboration in basic and clinical research in cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease.
- Engage physicians and scientists from other countries in the American Heart Association activities.
Become an International Mentee
International Mentees must be active members of the AHA at the Early Career level at the time of application, and must permanently reside outside the United States.
To register as a mentee:
Become an International Mentor
Mentors are senior domestic professional members of the AHA/ASA who volunteered to participate in the program. Mentors must:
- Be active members at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level at the time of registration.
- Agree to a 3-year commitment to the program, and
- Have adequate time and resources to commit to the developmental needs of the mentee.
To register as a mentor:
Mentees will be matched with a suitable mentor based on Council affiliation and scientific interests:
- Mentors will be assigned only one mentee at a time.
- Mentors/ Mentees are expected to maintain regular communication via email or other electronic mean
- Mentors / Mentees are expected to meet face- to-face at the AHA Scientific Sessions, International
Stroke Conference, or other AHA or external conference when appropriate.
International Mentoring Travel Grants
The AHA/ASA provides up to 10 $2,000 International Mentoring Travel Grants per year to international early career members to help defray the cost of attending the AHA Scientific Sessions or other council sponsored scientific session.
- Applicant must be an active AHA member at the early career level and enrolled in the International Mentoring Program at the time of application.
- Applicant must be an international resident and reside outside the US at the time of application.
- Applicant must provide a statement of their objectives for attending the AHA scientific meeting and how it will further his/her career development.
- The International Mentoring Travel Grants will be awarded on the quality of the application; however, preference will be given to persons who have not yet received a grant.
- Grant recipients must provide proof of registration for the AHA scientific session they choose to attend, and copies of receipts (airfare, hotel accommodations, ground transportation and meals) totaling no more than $2,000 U.S. dollars.
- Grant recipients must agree to arrange a face/face meeting with mentor during scientific meeting he/she attends if feasible.
- After the meeting, grant recipients must provide a report of their experience at the meeting, including a summary of the meeting with their mentor.
How to Apply for the International Mentoring Travel Grant
- Log in to the Council Awards & Fellowships Application System to complete an application.
- A username and password set up through online registration at Professional Heart Daily will be necessary to access the Application System. If you have not created an online profile yet, you may register as you enter the Application System by clicking "Sign Up" next to the Log In button on the sign-in page. Early Career Members who are creating an online profile for the first time should make sure to register using their AHA membership identification number.
- If you are joining the AHA to apply, please wait for your AHA membership identification number to arrive from AHA Member Services via e-mail before creating an online profile and starting your application. We suggest that new members join the AHA no later than Sept. 20 to insure the membership number will be processed and delivered in time for the application deadline.
Application Submission Deadline
- Applications must be received through the Council Awards Application System by Sept. 1, 5 p.m. CDT (UTC -5) Applicants should apply as early as possible before the deadline to allow time to address any submission issues.
- Applicants needing to join the AHA should do so by August 20 to allow sufficient time to process your application before the deadline date.
Become an AHA/ASA Member
International Mentoring Manager, Professional Memberships
Phone: (214) 706-1293