To be eligible for consideration for AHA/ASA Fellowship, the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA for at least 2-years; the 2-year period need not be consecutive.
- Dues are up-to-date.
- AHA/ASA Membership is affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
AHA/ASA Fellowship conferred by the Stroke Council is reserved for physicians, scientists and healthcare professionals with a major and productive interest in cerebrovascular diseases and whose accomplishments support the stated objectives of the AHA/ASA and the Stroke Council through practice, research, and/or education; and who have actively supported the AHA/ASA through volunteer service. The candidate must be making meritorious contributions in stroke as evidenced by:
- A demonstrated ongoing interest and contributions after completing training in cerebrovascular disease through research, education or care of stroke patients.
- Stroke publications over the past 24 months.
- Leadership in the stroke community.
- Stroke presentations at national, local or international level.
- Leadership position in training stroke physicians or allied health professionals.
- A strong letter of recommendation from the proposer.
- Significant current and/or past volunteer service to the AHA/ASA. Volunteer service can be demonstrated through leadership and/or involvement at the National, Council, Affiliate and/or local level, including but not limited to:
- Active participation as members and chairpersons of AHA and/or CVSN committees, boards and task forces at the local, affiliate, and/or national level;
- Development and Fundraising (Heart Walk, galas, Go Red fund raisers, etc.); leadership roles such as organizing Heart Walk teams, raising funds, promoting AHA events and recruiting others to participate;
- Advocacy efforts including participating in You’re the Cure, leading policy adoption or change, informing legislators about AHA and cardiovascular health issues at state and national levels;
- Professional and lay education programs including serving as an invited speaker, participating in a local AHA speakers bureau, providing talks for Go Red activities, media activities, leading education activities and Get with the Guidelines;
- Sharing expertise through AHA research and scholarship activities such as serving on a writing group, abstract grading, and research grant peer review.
International candidates must show evidence of volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/ associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
Please note that attending and/or presenting at the International Stroke Conference, AHA Scientific Session or other AHA/ASA sponsored conference is considered scholarly contributions but not AHA/ASA volunteer service.
Application Submission Deadlines
The Stroke Council considers applications for AHA/ASA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System
- December 1 - 5 p.m. Central Time (spring review cycle)
- June 15 - 5 p.m. Central Time (fall review cycle)
Applications entered after the deadline date/time cannot not be successfully submitted.
How to Apply
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues and print subscription [if applicable] are up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal subscription) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society. To apply for AHA Fellowship please follow the procedures below:
- Use your Professional Heart Daily to logon to the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application to avoid delays. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted through the online application system.
- Attach all required documentation. Applications that do not include the required documentation cannot be successfully submitted through the online application system. Required documents include:
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae, including complete bibliography.
- A recommendation from the proposer. The recommendation letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and be signed by the proposer; electronic signature is acceptable.
- Clear head and shoulders photograph. The photograph may be used to recognized newly elected Fellows in Connections and the Professional Heart Daily web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Chose Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation on your dashboard page
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Review and Election Process
Recognition and Acknowledgement
In addition to Premium Professional membership benefits; AHA/ASA FAHAs receive:
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 X 11" certificate suitable for framing to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the International Stroke Conference, AHA Scientific Session and other AHA/ASA sponsored conferences.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions.
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership/FAHA Maintenance
AHA/ASA Fellows elected through the Stroke Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.Beginning in 2016, Stroke FAHAs are no longer required to take the print subscription to the Stroke journal for FAHA status.
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:Email: Professional.Membership@Heart.org
Phone: (214) 706-1306