- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Dues are up-to-date.
- Be affiliated with the Council through which the application is being submitted.
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA for a minimum of 2 years; the 2-years need not be consecutive.
Please note that the Awards/Fellowship System will validate the eligibility requirements prior to beginning the peer Review process; applications that do not meet each of the eligibility requirements will not be submitted to the Peer Review Committee for consideration. To confirm your membership status, please contact Membership Customer Service at email@example.com or call (800) 787-8984 (Inside U.S.) / (301) 223-2307 (Outside U.S.).
Candidates applying for AHA/ASA Fellowship through the QCOR Council must be making meritorious contributions in the area of quality care and outcomes research as evidenced by:
- Scientists must be making meritorious contributions to the field of quality of care and outcomes research as evidenced by at least four published articles as first author.
- Clinical Professionals must provide documentation of training or experience in a specialty related to quality of care and outcomes research and participation in the implementation of one or more quality assessment/improvement programs.
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate significant and current volunteer service to the AHA through involvement and leadership in AHA/ASA activities at the local, affiliate, council and/or national level:
- Committee Participation: Active participation on committees, boards, and/or task forces.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, including complete bibliography.
- Scientist candidates must include complete one (1) recent reprint as senior author that is relative to the general problem to the general area of quality of care and outcomes research.
- Clinical candidates must include documentation of formal training and/or experience in a relevant clinical specialty.
- A letter of recommendation from the proposer. The letter must be clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and signed by the proposer (electronic signature is acceptable).
- Head and shoulder photograph; the photograph may be used to recognize elected FAHAs in Connections and Professional Heart Daily web site.
Please note: AHA membership and attending and/or presenting at the AHA Scientific Session or other AHA sponsored conference will not be considered volunteer service.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The QCOR Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- February 1 - 5 p.m. Central Time for the spring review cycle
- August 1 - 5 p.m. Central Time for the fall review cycle
- Applications submitted after the deadline dates cannot be successfully submitted
How to Apply
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA/ASA Fellow (dues must be up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues and maintaining a print journal subscription) who is well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer involvement in the AHA/ASA or international society.
To apply for AHA Fellowship, please follow the procedures below; for assistance with login or your username/password, please contact Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888- 242-2453 (Inside U.S.) or 214- 570-5935 (Outside U.S.):
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password to apply online through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered.
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Chose Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation on your dashboard page
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Peer Review and Election Process
Recognition and Acknowledgement
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions.
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:Email: Professional.Membership@Heart.org
Phone: (214) 706-1306