To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements at the time of application:
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level,
- Has been a member of the AHA/ASA at any level for at least 2 years; the 2-year period need not be consecutive years,
- Be affiliated with the Council through which they are applying, and
- Have up-to-date dues.
- Accomplishment of meritorious research in any aspect of nutrition, physical activity, obesity or diabetes.
- Published three or more first-author, peer-reviewed papers addressing fundamental scientific questions.
- Served in a faculty or investigative position for two or more years after completing training.
- Hold membership or fellowship in research or professional organizations.
- Significant volunteer service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA can be demonstrated through involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to:
- Committee Participation: Active participation on committees, boards and task forces.
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in Heart Walk, galas, etc.
- Advocacy efforts: Active participation in advocacy efforts such as You're the Cure grassroots efforts.
- Education: Professional and lay education programs including writing groups, abstract grading, speakers bureau and Get with the Guidelines. - Peer Review: AHA/ASA research grant and journals.
- International candidates must show evidence of significant volunteer service in similar organizations or societies in their respective counties or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the U.S.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health considers applications for AHA/ASA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- Dec. 1: 5 p.m. Central Time (Spring Review Cycle)
- July 1: 5 p.m. (Fall Review Cycle)
- Please keep in mind that applications entered after the deadline times cannot be successfully submitted.
How to Apply
Candidates must be proposed by an active AHA/ASA Fellow(up-to-date dues and print journal subscription [if applicable]) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues) who is acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and volunteer service. The proposer's membership need not be affiliated with the Council through which the application is submitted. Please follow the procedures below to apply for AHA/ASA Fellowship:
- Logon to the Council Awards/FAHA Application System. You will need your Professional Heart Daily username and password to access the system.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delays. Incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted through the online system.
- Attach all required documentation. Applications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted through the online system required documents that must be submitted include:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae and complete bibliography,
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter should clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, must be written on business letterhead, and must be signed by the proposer - electronic signature is acceptable, and
- A clear head and shoulders photograph. Please note that the photograph may be used to recognize newly elected Fellows in Connections and the Professional Heart Daily web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Chose Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation on your dashboard page
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Review and Election Process
Recognition and Acknowledgement
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA/ASA FAHAs receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:Email: Professional.Membership@Heart.org
Phone: (214) 706-1306