The criteria are established by the Leadership Committee in concert with the AHA's Scientific Advisory and Coordinating Committee. The criteria for election to International Fellowship are equivalent to those described for Fellows. The candidate must be able to meet all of the stated criteria:
- Scientists must be making meritorious contributions to the field of functional genomics and translational biology, as evidenced by at least four published articles.
- Domestic candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service to the AHA. Significant and current service to the AHA can be demonstrated through leadership and involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to active participation on committees, boards and task forces; development and fundraising (Heart Walk, galas, etc.); advocacy efforts; professional and lay education programs including writing groups, abstract grading, speakers bureau and Get with the Guidelines; and research grant peer review.
- International candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
Application Submission and Deadlines
The FGTB Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications may be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System until:
- Jan. 10 - 5 p.m. CST for the spring review cycle
- July 10 - 5 p.m. CDT for the spring review cycle
Applications received after the deadline dates will be held until the next review cycle.
How to Apply
Candidates must be proposed by an active AHA Fellow (dues must be up-to-date) who is affiliated with the FGTB Council and well acquainted with your current professional activities. Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying annual dues and subscribing to the print journal. To apply for AHA Fellowship, please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password to apply online through the Council Awards Application System
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delay. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attach documentation as required. Applications that do not include the required documents will be considered incomplete and will not be considered:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Complete bibliography
- Scientist candidates must include complete bibliography and one (1) recent reprint as senior author that is relative to the general area of cardiovascular genetics.
- Clinical candidates must include documentation of formal training and/or experience in a relevant clinical setting.
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must be written on business letterhead, signed by the proposer, and clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria.
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the submission of a photograph is optional and may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and Professional Heart Daily web site.
Locate a Proposer
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Sign in with your Professional Heart Daily username and password.
- Select you personalized Dashboard page.
- Select Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation
- Select Advanced Search.
- Select Council.
- Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Review and Election Process
Annual Membership Dues/Fellowship Maintenance
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:Email: Professional.Membership@Heart.org