To be eligible for consideration for AHA Fellowship the candidate must meet each of the following requirements at the time of application:
- Must be an AHA/ASA member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level.
- Membership must be affiliated with the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB).
- Membership dues must be up-to-date.
- Must have been a member of the AHA/ASA at any membership level for at least 2-years; the 2-year period need not be consecutive.
Please note: If your membership has been inactive for 5 or more years you are now considered a new member; you must remain a member for at least 2 years from the date you rejoined the AHA/ASA to become eligible to apply for FAHA.
The honorary title of FAHA conferred by the ATVB Council is reserved for scientists and clinical professionals who diagnose and manage patients with arteriosclerosis or thrombotic disease.
The candidate must be able to show evidence of scientific, clinical, and/or educational contributions by meeting the applicable criteria described below:
- Contributions to the Field: a) Scientists must be making meritorious contributions to the fields of arteriosclerosis, thrombosis or vascular biology, and b) must have made significant contributions to the scientific literature as evidenced by at least four (4) published articles in cardiovascular related peer reviewed journals.
- Clinical Training and Experience: Clinical Professionals must be able to show documented evidence of training and experience in a relevant clinical specialty.
- Volunteer Service and Leadership: Candidate must be able to demonstrate significant current and/or past volunteer involvement and service to the AHA/ASA. Volunteer service to the AHA/ASA can be demonstrated through leadership and/or involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities. Examples of volunteer service include but is not limited to:
- Committee Participation: Active participation as a chairperson or member of committees, boards, and/or task forces at the local, affiliate, council and/or national level(s).
- Development and Fundraising: Active participation in organizing events or teams for AHA fundraising activities (Heart Walk, Jump Rope for Heart, Heart Galas, Hoops for Heart, Heart Run, etc.)
- Advocacy Efforts: Active participation in advocacy grassroots efforts, including You're the Cure, leading policy adoption or change, informing legislators about AHA and cardiovascular health issues at local, state and national levels.
- Educational Programs for Professionals and Lay People: Active participation in grading abstracts, writing groups, Go Red for Women, Get With the Guidelines, and participation in speakers' bureaus.
- Peer Review: Active participation in the peer review process for AHA/ASA journals and research grants.
- International candidates must be able to show evidence of significant and current and/or past volunteer service in similar organizations and societies in their respective countries or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
Please note: AHA membership and attending, moderating sessions and presenting at the ATVB | PVD Scientific Sessions, AHA Scientific Session, or other AHA sponsored conference is not considered volunteer service.
Required Supporting Documents
The following documents are required and must be uploaded to the application.
- The application cannot be successfully submitted until the required documents are uploaded.
- Please do not upload dummy documents: Uploading dummy documents in order to successfully submit your application will result in your application being disqualified during the validation process.
- Grace Period: Corrections, revisions and/or changes can be made to draft applications (applications started but not completed before the deadline) and submitted applications up to 24-hours after the deadline. New applications cannot be started or submitted during the grace period.
Please upload the following required documents to your application; please note that all supporting documents, excluding the photograph, must be in PDF format:
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae with complete bibliography;
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and be signed by the proposer - electronic signature is acceptable.
- Clinical Professionals must also attach documentation of training and experience in a relevant clinical specialty.
- Head and shoulder photograph. The photo must be in jpeg format. Please note that the photograph may be used to recognize newly elected fellows in Connections, AHA journals, award ceremonies, and Professional Heart Daily web site.
The ATVB Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications must be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System. The submission deadlines are:
- Spring Review Cycle: January 15 - 5 p.m. Central Time
- Fall Review Cycle: June 15 - 5 p.m. Central Time
- Grace Period: Applications started before the deadline can be updated, completed and submitted up to 24-hours after the submission deadline.
- New applications cannot be started or submitted after the deadline.
How to Apply
Please follow the procedures below to apply for AHA Fellowship:
- Find a proposer: Any active AHA/ASA Fellow (an active Fellow is one whose dues and print journal subscription [where applicable] are up-to-date, including Emeritus Fellow) is eligible to propose candidates for FAHA.
- The proposer should be well acquainted with the candidate's professional activities and AHA/ASA volunteer involvement.
- Use your Professional Heart Daily username and password to log on to the online Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delays:
- Required fields are noted with a red asterisk (*). Information must be provided in all required fields in order to successfully submit the application. Please do not enter dummy information into the required fields. Entering dummy information in order to submit your application will result in your application being disqualified during the validation process, at which time it is too late to make changes or corrections.
- Attach all required documents. Please do not upload dummy documents; uploading dummy documents in order to successfully submit your application will result in your application being disqualified during the validation process, at which time it is too late to make changes or corrections. Applications that do not include the required information and documents cannot be successfully submitted through the online system.
Locate a Proposer
Locate AHA/ASA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
- Log into professional.heart.org with an active login
- Chose Membership Directory from the left-hand navigation on your dashboard page
- Click on the ‘Advanced Search’ link
- On the Member Type field, click the arrow to drop down the selection list
- Select the Fellow category you are searching for to populate the field
- Click the ‘Submit’ button at the bottom of the page
Review and Election Process
Recognition and Acknowledgement
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits FAHAs receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate suitable for framing to commemorate this achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, Annual ATVB/PVD Conference and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions.
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
Annual Membership Dues/FAHA Maintenance
AHA Fellows elected through the ATVB Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the suspension of active Fellowship status.
Beginning in 2016, ATVB FAHAs are no longer required to take the print subscription to the Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology journal for FAHA status.
Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk:Email: Professional.Membership@Heart.org
Phone: (214) 706-1306